The people & places we support have never felt more relevant, inspiring & innovative. Like the next epoch, they’re all about protecting and regenerating both ourselves and our planet.
“We are witnessing the onset of a new era of consciousness and wellbeing. The force of evolution is always surprising, but humanity evolves in line with the challenges it faces. Without common beliefs, togetherness and collaboration, global sustainability cannot be realised. We need to recognise that we are each responsible for choosing a new direction. The alarm has rung. It is time to get up and live our truth, our nature, and our joy.” Fred Tsao, Founder of SANGHA Retreat by Octave Institute, CHINA
LOYAL TO LOCAL: AN EXCITING ENGLISH LAUNCH
Nestled next to a 100 year old apple orchard in the stunning Somerset countryside, we’re super excited about TEALS, a new, eco-chic destination food market & curated gift store, opening this August next to the A303.
Seasonal produce, pasture-fed meat, healthy ready-meals: this a community based, waste-conscious business which celebrates the best of the West Country. Stop for lunch, beautiful walks and nifty electric charging points. The shape of things to come. More here
OUR LOCKDOWN HEROES
ZENA EL FARRA
Zena has swiftly adapted London’s first mindful art studio, MasterPeace, to create a whole new initiative. Her sophisticated and beautiful ‘At Home Art Kits’ (from £27), designed for beginners but inspired enough for dab hands, are here to stay. Uniting mind, heart and hand, the 40-minute supportive virtual classes harness mood-boosting creativity all around the world. They are a wonderful way to reduce anxiety, as well as making for an ideal gift. More here.
Beloved for her warmth, humour and infectious energy, the gorgeous Katie Brindle has introduced daily live-streamed Qigong lessons to the nation and harnessed a rapid growth in followers, including Jasmine Hemsley. Founder of the Hayo’u Method, Katie has a knack for distilling ancient Chinese practices into relevant routines for today and offers masses of wisdom on everything from skincare to firing up the body’s internal systems and clearing energy. @Katie_Brindle
Issy Croker has devised a brand new e-cook book, Staying In, with 35 recipes donated by chefs and food writers who she photographed whilst in isolation, all for £5. 100% of proceeds go directly to the charity Chefs in Schools, whose emergency appeal provides vulnerable families with lunches. Recreate Thomasina Mier’s Cauliflower salad with carrot, orange, za’atar & toasted buckwheat here
HOLISTIC SUMMER ESSENTIALS
- Style and nourish quarantine beards with ilapothecary’s Beardy Balm – £29 for 30ml.
- Target water retention & cellulite with the Hayo’u Method’s handy Beauty Restorer Comb – £38
- Zap ‘post lockdown anxiety’ with ilapothecary’s lenegary SOS Pearl Drops – £16 for 15ml
- Boost mood & kick-start circulation with the Hayo’u Method’s Body Tapper Bamboo – £28
THE GROUP REUNION – WITH NO COOKING!
Dramatic glens, glistening rivers, hill lochs and native wildlife: immerse yourself in a 23,000-acre utopia in the splendid isolation of the Scottish Highlands. Alladale Wilderness Reserve offers exclusive-use cottages and lodges, all fully-catered on an inclusive basis. Multiple wildlife projects, native tree planting and a new Aquaponics garden inspire, whilst hiking, foraging, fishing and outdoor learning for teenagers are all available.
POWER OF TOUCH
Self-care has taken on new meaning. We can’t wait to book a UK spa break, according to The Good Spa Guide survey. Here’s why and what it might look like.
NB. The Four Seasons at Jimbaran Bay has received a spiritual cleanse. Resident Hindu priest Ajik Ngurah spread blessings ahead of its reopening. If only they could send him over…
4 EVOLUTIONARY TRAVEL EXPERIENCES
1. Post-Covid travel will reflect a desire for intelligent wellness which meets the collective need for emotional healing and time to process. Find just this at China’s most progressive spa destination: SANGHA Retreat, where Immune Boosting Programmes combine Traditional Chinese Medicine with high-tech scientific diagnostics. More here
2. The desire to support and heal the gut as a building block to strong immunity has never been stronger. Our intestines are where viruses and bacteria are identified, antibodies formed and pathogens eliminated. Regenerate your entire digestive system and energy levels, strengthen the lungs and integrate new habits at The Original FX Mayr, still the best. More here
3. We are stepping into a world which embraces a plurality of modalities. Holistic expertise, ancient wisdom and doctor-led programmes are all to be found at Greece’s Euphoria Retreat, a leading destination spa that offers everything from reflexology and learning of the Five Elements to the most advanced metabolic testing. Try the seven day transformative IMMOT retreat focused on Mindset & Metabolism. More here
4. Satisfy the craving for new experiences and fresh air at The Alpina Gstaad. And no need to dramatically break your bubble – stay in the Panorama Suite which sleeps 6 and comes with its own spa, sauna, gym and outdoor jacuzzi. Try finger reflexology using seeds and the new ‘Beekeeper’ workshop where you can discover how honey is made and why bees are crucial to biodiversity. More here
ALTERNATIVELY, BRING THE SPA HOME
FROM INDIA WITH LOVE: Ananda-in-the-Himalayas launches its new ‘Ananda Wellness Bliss’ – a once-in-a-life-time opportunity to enjoy an online programme of expert-led yoga, meditation and breathing sessions, 1-2-1 Ayurvedic consultations & personalised recipes.
FROM GREECE WITH LOVE: Watch for more online retreats from Greece’s eminent destination spa, Euphoria Retreat, which provides lifelong learnings on the 5 elements. The rise of virtual wellbeing is expected to continue.
FROM AUSTRIA WITH LOVE: Why you should take Zinc, laugh more, exercise outside and try intermittent fasting – read 5 easy lifestyle upgrades from The Original FX MAYR to strengthen your defences here
THE FUTURE’S BRIGHT: 2021
WORTH THE LONG HAUL – It’s widely predicted that we will travel less frequently but stay longer, relax more deeply and enjoy the rise of twin-centered, more environmentally conscious breaks
PURPOSEFUL PARADISE: MALDIVES
As ever, Four Seasons Maldives leads the way for a sustainable future with reef regeneration, safaris with marine scientists, coral frame building, and 10 years of turtle rehabilitation. Get kids engaged with the Junior Marine Savers and plan your visit next June for the best chance of meeting mantas. Hop between the bliss of Four Seasons Landaa Giraavaru and Four Seasons Kuda Huraa. OR… push the boat out, more specifically your own 62ft private yacht, and bag your own island Four Seasons’ Voavah is a 5-acre, 7-bedroom private island and the world’s first exclusive-use UNESCO hideaway, accessed by private jet. The ultimate isolated escape.
SPIRITUAL REJUVENATION: BALI
Be among the first to experience the new Healing Village Spa at Four Seasons Jimbaran Bay, officially opens in January 2021. This promises to be one of the most enchanting and powerful new arrivals on an island relatively untouched by Covid. Expect oceanside energy healing, Balinese gong sound baths, flower blessings by a Priest, ice baths, crystal singing bowls and an exquisite building seemingly suspended over water. Combine with a stay at Four Seasons Sayan, an equally stunning design masterpiece immersed in nature.
CLOSER TO HOME: THE THREE KINGDOMS
Spain’s secret gems. Less than 8 people per square km, quiet medieval villages, forest views, properly local food. Watch this space for news of a new eco-tourism initiative, breathing life back into the abandoned villages of eastern Spain: Catalonia, Aragon and Valencia.
THE FINAL WORD
“The Virus is a call to go back to what is essential in our lives. To connect with ourselves, with our loved ones, with nature and natural rhythms. What is really happening is that we are learning that we need to heal ourselves in order to heal our world.” Owner Marina Efraimoglou, Euphoria Retreat